Monday, July 4, 2011

I scream, You scream... It's Ice Cream Cake!

I apologize for my absence over these last couple of days - it is really very rude of me. Here in the great white north we celebrated Canada Day on Friday July 1st. Unfortunately the weather on a couple of the days left much to be desired - but it takes more than a few clouds to ruin my long weekend!

Fireworks over Vancouver

I've got a feeling that things around here will slow down a bit over the summer. Contrary to popular belief, there are a few places in Canada that actually enjoy hot, sunny, summers - and I am lucky enough to live in such a place. So you can see my conflict when the weather is gorgeous and my computer is inside...

Just in case I take a week off here or there over the summer, please accept my apologies in advance. I'll always come back, probably sunburned and covered in aloe...

In the meantime, while I compile my summer reading list and playlist for next weekend at the lake, here's a little piece of heaven for you... Does anything scream summer more than ice cream cake?


Almond Bark Ice Cream Cake


First, put your ice cream out on the counter to soften up - just don't forget about it! It really doesn't take much time, especially in the summer!

Second, line a springform pan with aluminum foil. Don't worry about making it perfectly smooth. Then, mix Oreo crumbs and melted butter together and press into the bottom of the pan to form the crust. (I used just over a cup of crumbs and a couple of tablespoons of butter but you can adjust it depending on pan size.)

After pressing out the crust, I put my ice cream (about 1 Litre) into a bowl and used a spatula to break it up. It makes it easier to smooth out over the crust if it is smooth and lump-free. 

If you want to get really wild, you can add some treats on top of the ice cream as filling. Because I was using Almond Bark ice cream I settled on chocolate covered almonds and caramel sauce. Then put the cake in the freezer to stiffen up for a bit. 


Finally, add a second layer of ice cream over the cake - again, about 1 Litre. Then you can decorate the top (I used more almonds and caramel) and put it in the freezer until frozen solid, at least 2 hours.

When you go to serve, pop open the pan, peel back the aluminum foil, and cut into it!


This cake was a huge hit at work and super easy to make. The greatest thing is that you can mix and match flavours for any occasion. I'm thinking of trying a vanilla layer with something richer like Rolo ice cream next time. Or maybe cookie dough, or Neapolitan, or chocolate peanut butter cup...

Let me know what combinations you come up with!

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment