Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Killer Flavour Combination - Lemon & Blackberry Part II




Warning: These pretty little cupcakes pack a major punch of bright, summery flavour. Any winterized taste buds familiar with root vegetables and bland stews may be in for a shock. 

My apologies for the delay in writing, these cupcakes were served up at my Grandmother's birthday nearly a month ago, oh how times flies. 

After promising to bring cake for the afternoon celebrations, I went back on my word and switched to cupcakes. Easier to assemble and transport than a large cake, they are also more fun to eat, less messy to serve, and conveniently packaged to send home as leftovers.




Relying on a simple lemon cake mix, I added an extra kick with a tablespoon or two of fresh lemon juice and zest in place of the same amount of water. Although I cheated this little bit, it was impossible to tell after topping the cakes with a generous portion of fresh blackberry buttercream (I used this recipe from Sugar Song Cakes which calls for thawed frozen berries).

The nod of approval, and confirmation that the cupcakes were in fact delicious, came from my grandfather. After being diagnosed with dementia a few years ago we had to move him into a care home last January. Although he doesn't recognize me or remember the relationship we once had, his face lit up after biting into the cupcake and that was all the praise I needed.



Sharing this over at: Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons, Nap Time Crafters, and Just Us Four Blog

3 comments:

  1. The last part about your Grandad brought tears to my eyes! What a lovely treat you made for everyone to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your kind words. Although it's a difficult situation it's also wonderful that we can still catch a glimpse of the man we knew - sweet tooth included!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree! I love lemon and blackberry! These are so pretty! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete