Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Unconventional = Oh So Cool

Sometimes the best kind of DIY projects aren't all that hands on - taking something and re-purposing it, giving it new life, can be as rewarding as making something from scratch. I think this is why I love thrift shopping so much.

With a bit of ingenuity, the list of items that can become art is endless - and when in doubt (or facing a creativity block) a simple Google search can provide tons of inspiration. Here are some...

Sewing Notions
Design*Sponge
 
Plates
Leslie Hill

Ceiling Medallions
Leslie Hill

Flash Cards
ohdeeoh
House and Home
I love the colour that these projects add to a room. I can see fabric swatches or sewing notions like the first picture hanging in a craft room or office - and wouldn't flash card art be amazingly cute in a kids room? Honestly, I'd consider any of these projects for my own home.

Here are a couple of not-so-conventional art projects I've come up with to adorn my own walls...

My oh-so-cute (and much younger) cousins coloured these pictures for me about a year ago while we were waiting to eat at a restaurant. I love how the image remains the same but the bright colours make each one unique, so I brought the pictures home from work (their previous residence), framed them in basic black, and they now brighten up my kitchen.





I found these great Scandinavian postcard-like prints at Ikea, as well as great (cheap) black frames for them. Like my cousin's art, I am drawn to the great pop of colour that they offer - and the designs are pretty freaking cool too. I am thinking of putting 4 of them grouped together in my en suite once it's all painted. 
Along the same line, I picked up some adorable little cupcake cards at Chapters Books around Christmas time that I am thinking about displaying somehow. I had originally found a set at HomeSense and was very selective when it came to handing them out - so naturally I HAD to get more when I saw them a couple months ago. I am still looking for a frame - I'm thinking three, 4x6 slots, perhaps white? 


Finally, one of my favorite things in my ENTIRE house right now is this little wall that divides my living room and entryway closet and showcases two record album covers that I framed. I really love this entire vignette - the blue and battered bookcase filled with bright colourful books and ceramic trinkets against the gray wall with the album covers hanging above, hung slightly off centre...


Love isn't a strong enough word to describe how I feel about the top album - Whipped Cream & Other Delights by Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass. The girl in the photo is just fantastic and the bright green and yellow is so great... I could go on and on about this image - it makes me so happy!


If you love an image, pattern, or colour (regardless of whether it's supposed to be on the wall or not) why not try displaying it as art? Sometimes the most unconventional ideas are the most fun!

Enjoy,
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment